[clug] Installing kernel headers

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Wed Apr 14 08:11:22 GMT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:02:42PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:

> Heya,
>
> so, I compile kernels from source occassionally. I'm a little confused
> as to whether I am meant to be installing kernel headers when I start
> running a new kernel however. External modules fail to compile unless
> they have the latest headers, but there isn't a make target to install
> the headers.
>
> If I am meant to install new headers, what is the best way of doing it?

The headers are in the directory form which you compiled the kernel. Thous
many many things will expect to find them in /usr/src/`uname -r`/include

> I've read that I should be running with the headers which match those
> which glibc was compiled against.

No, glibc and any applications in user space according to Linus AFAIR should
not be dependant on an exact version of kernel headers, so should be able to
get away with the ones that come there.

However for kernel modules and similar whcih really do need to know the
kernel intierfaces they should look at the include directory of your kernel
tree, which is why those applications should be able to be given an argument
or a makefile edit to tell it to look explicitly at your kernel tree include
dir.

> Does anyone want to enlighten me?

but muuuuuummm doo we have to?

	See You
	    Steve

... who probably didnt help

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view