[clug] Startup problem

Steve sunpower at pobox.com
Sun Apr 11 01:54:16 GMT 2004

Dear All,

Thanks very much for the help.

Ctrl Alt F1/F2 had no effect I'm afraid and I was not able to get into
single user mode.  So I got a bit radiacal and forced a startup error by
pulling out the RAID card. I then logged in as root.

I looked for gdm as suggested below.  I found gdm.conf in /etc/X11/gdm/
and set debug to true and turned of the starting of X11 by the judicious
use of a #.  This got me into text mode at next reboot, with the RAID
card back in. Fortunately all is well and I am now doing a backup of
data before I try to find out why Xconfigurator still is unable to
configure a graphical screen.

Thanks very much for all your help; my heart rate has returned to normal
and my stomach is now back where it should be.  Though I do keep my data
backed up it changes frequently and though it was only 2 days since last
I did a backup it would have meant a lot of work to get things back to
normal.

Thanks again and I shall keep you informed when I solve the problem.

Regards,
Steve Lundqvist