[OT] Re: [clug] Sharp Zaurus vs Laptop

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Apr 2 18:26:56 GMT 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Rohan Mitchell wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm thinking about getting a sharp zaurus pda soon, and i wondered if
> anyone has one that they could bring to the meeting and give me a quick
> demo? I'm currently debating whether to get it or whether to get a
> laptop instead, and am still undecided.

It really depends on what you want it for.  I made the same evaluation
recently (Zaurus vs laptop) and decided that the Zaurus was too limited
for my needs.  Specifically me needs were/are:

- A portable news server (Ok, I love Usenet alright :)  The plan being to
  sit on the train and read some news.  The Zaurus didn't have enough
  secondary storage.

- Playing Crossfire (on the train again mayhaps? :)

- General Linux admin/dev stuff

- Network diagnostics.

The Zaurus might have achieved some of these but not enough of them and
not well enough.

Just my 2.2c worth.

Cheers,
	Rob