[clug] advice for first time Apache user

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 2 07:59:33 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am setting up an Apache-2 server, having never run an HTTP server
before. I've run FTP and samba, but not HTTP.

All I'm doing is serving static content for file sharing of free
software. I'm using the stock Mandrake9.2 config, but I've gone through
all the files and tweaked the options I understood. I've been told that
"Apache is secure out of the box" but I don't yet trust it to that
extent.

Are there any tricks I should know about? I'm mainly worried about
security. I don't mind if there's teething problems in the content so
long as none of them result in a compromise for any reason. I understand
the impossibility of this request but any advice would be appreciated!

Have fun,
Darren