[clug] micro dev kit

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 16 17:21:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 16:53, Adrian Blake wrote:
> Has anyone out there got a redundant microprocessor dev kit that they
> are willing to part with for free or just a few dollars.
>
> Something like the Motorola HC08. serial port for uploading and
> downloading files/code, I/O pins for toggling, the docs etc.
>
> It is for a friend to learn some assembly code.

Grab a microcontroller and some free software dev tools. Stuff like the
PIC16F84 or Atmel AVR series would be suitable, easy enough to make
programmers. Plus assembly isn't all you learn from putting something
together.

Jaycar have kits that do what you want but may cost $50 or so. Check out
their web site. But you don't need a kit at all if your friend isn't
afraid of a breadboard and some electronics.

I tend to think that somebody learning that level of computing should
also get a feel for the electronics it relies on.

> Adrian

Darren