[clug] Linux on Gateway Solo

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Fri Sep 5 11:55:44 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 11:04, Ching Chew wrote:
> I am thinking of converting my Gateway Solo laptop into Linux and have
> been searching the web for tutorials/information. Hoping to have a
> machine to do some Java/PHP development.
> Does anyone on this list have experience with installing Linux on
> laptops (especially Gateway Solo's) or can point me in the right direction?

Try looking at:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Its what I used to get help getting our recently acquired Dell laptops
working.

> What Linux distribution would be best? I have only been exposed to
> RedHat in the past but am open to suggestions.

Distribution is a fairly personal thing, I've gathered. Read through the
stuff on the pages at the above site, that might give you some ideas of
distro's that aren't ideal for the Gateways.

> Are there many problems with getting the right drivers? I would like to
> be able to still use my USB (mouse/printer/CD burner) and PCMCIA (ethernet).

I don't imaging there would be any problem with these, but again, see
the pages at the above site.

Conrad.