[clug] Linux on Gateway Solo

Ching Chew cchew at stepsoft.com.au
Fri Sep 5 11:04:25 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of converting my Gateway Solo laptop into Linux and have
been searching the web for tutorials/information. Hoping to have a
machine to do some Java/PHP development.

Does anyone on this list have experience with installing Linux on
laptops (especially Gateway Solo's) or can point me in the right direction?

What Linux distribution would be best? I have only been exposed to
RedHat in the past but am open to suggestions.

Are there many problems with getting the right drivers? I would like to
be able to still use my USB (mouse/printer/CD burner) and PCMCIA (ethernet).

On an aside, does anyone know of a J2EE and/or PHP user group in
Canberra? Am interested in discussing J2EE architecture issues and PHP
OO issues with others who are interested/more experienced. A colleague
of mine also wonders if there is a Linux consortium of sorts that
promotes the use of Linux and open source software by business and
government?

Thanks for your help in advance.

cheers!
Ching