[clug] DVD burning under Linux

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 1 17:36:58 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:09, Damien Elmes wrote:
> Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> writes:
>
> > OK so now I've burned my first DVD coaster. Yay.
> >
> > dvdrtools was looking good until the SCSI emulation layer gave an error
> > when starting the track. So I burned the lead-in and then fixated the
> > disc. Hooray for ease-of-use!
>
> They recommend you burn with -dummy until you get it working. Perhaps
> you should try that.

I did. But I couldn't tell at the time that there was a problem, the
error looked like it could have been simply not able to do dummy.

> > Anyone know what's going on here? I would have hoped that, rather than
> > crap out during a write, that the software would have given a more
> > inteligent error somewhere along the way. Thus I consider this problem
> > to be a big deal as people everywhere will be burning coasters when
> > trying their USB burner under Linux.
>
> I've always avoided USB peripherals when there's an alternative, so I
> have no experience there. When I was trying to get a IDE burner
> working, though, I received some obtuse error messages which turned
> out to be a result of not using DAO mode. Apart from that, it's been
> smooth-sailing.

I have found that many USB peripherals are just ISA ones with an
adaptor. *those* are the ones to really stay away from, I had the
designer of the ISA card telling me how easy it is to write drivers for
- if only the top-secret USB->ISA adaptor could be reverse-engineered.
The creator of that was not even a little bit interested in helping.

Have fun,
Darren