[clug] DVD burning under Linux

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Mon Sep 1 17:09:32 EST 2003

Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> writes:

> OK so now I've burned my first DVD coaster. Yay.
>
> dvdrtools was looking good until the SCSI emulation layer gave an error
> when starting the track. So I burned the lead-in and then fixated the
> disc. Hooray for ease-of-use!

They recommend you burn with -dummy until you get it working. Perhaps
you should try that.

> Anyone know what's going on here? I would have hoped that, rather than
> crap out during a write, that the software would have given a more
> inteligent error somewhere along the way. Thus I consider this problem
> to be a big deal as people everywhere will be burning coasters when
> trying their USB burner under Linux.

I've always avoided USB peripherals when there's an alternative, so I
have no experience there. When I was trying to get a IDE burner
working, though, I received some obtuse error messages which turned
out to be a result of not using DAO mode. Apart from that, it's been
smooth-sailing.

Regards,
--
Damien Elmes