[clug] DVD burning under Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Mon Sep 1 14:16:20 EST 2003

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:59:29PM +1000, Darren Freeman wrote:
> List,
>
> I have borrowed a Sony USB DVD burner.
>
> To my shock it was recognised and automatically setup as /dev/scd0. I am
> able to mount CDs on it without *any* effort.
>
> But how do I burn DVDs? I presume that since it's emulating SCSI I am
> able to do it like on an internal drive. But how do I do that?
>
> I have tried gcombust, xcdroast and k3b. None of them *seem* to know
> about DVDs although a couple of them knew it was a DVD burner. (DVD-R)
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.

>From my limited recolection (I have not tried it yet, we have not yet
purchased a dvd burner for a linux machine, I simply kind of recall seeing
this in change logs or something about a year ago), cdrecord (the tool used
by xcdroast and others) has the dvd capability, the patches were added about
ayear ago I think, Anyway it is a command line utitilty, I dont know if any
front ends to it have dvd stuff yet. Make a dvd image with mkisofs/mkhybrid
(same thing), and burn the image with cdrecord, strangely this is how I tend
to use cd recroding drives anyway (the gooeys get in the way).

Have a look at the cdrecord site I guess.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view