[clug] DVD burning under Linux

shayne flint shayne at flint-family.net
Mon Sep 1 14:29:23 EST 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 13:59, Darren Freeman wrote:
> List,
>
> I have borrowed a Sony USB DVD burner.
>
> To my shock it was recognised and automatically setup as /dev/scd0. I am
> able to mount CDs on it without *any* effort.
>
> But how do I burn DVDs? I presume that since it's emulating SCSI I am
> able to do it like on an internal drive. But how do I do that?
>
> I have tried gcombust, xcdroast and k3b. None of them *seem* to know
> about DVDs although a couple of them knew it was a DVD burner. (DVD-R)
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.

I just went thru a similar exercise, but with an IDE DVD burner (NEC 1300A)

I needed to get hold of
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/cdrecord-prodvd-2.0.1-i586-pc-linux-gnu
and copy it to /usr/lib/xcdroast/bin as cdrecord.prodvd

xcdroast will then understand DVD burners.

You will also need a key (free to uni, non commercial etc.) which is included
in ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/README

It's non-free, but works fine for me.