[clug] random ethernet shutdown

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Fri Oct 17 09:21:19 EST 2003

Sam Couter said:
> Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
>> I'm testing my system stability because it kept locking up with the
>> case off.
>
> Your car would also overheat if you removed the shroud around the fan
> behind the radiator. Most computers rely on the case for decent
> airflow. Your lockups may be caused by overheating, so if the case is
> still off the machine, that's the first thing to do. Second would be to
> make sure that with the case on you're not still overheating.

Second thing to do is make sure your cooling fans are all facing the right
way.  My current case is a midi tower which hosts 5 disks, a CD-ROM and
two slot1 CPUs.I bought two extra cooling fans for the case, and voided my power supply
warranty to avoid it blowing hot air straight onto the CPU's.  I have the
front (original) case fan sucking air in, and the two extras at the rear
and the power supply sucking air out.  According to the BIOS (and
lm-sensors) I dropped the internal temperature 11 degrees doing this.  Of
course, in summer I can raise it 6 almost immediately by taking the case
off...
The downside is with 7 cooling fans (I'm counting the two tiny cpu fans
and one in a drive caddy above those already mentioned) the ambient noise
level in the room is increased dramatically...
--
Matt