[clug] random ethernet shutdown

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Thu Oct 16 20:22:44 EST 2003

Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> I'm testing my system stability because it kept locking up with the case
> off.

Your car would also overheat if you removed the shroud around the fan
behind the radiator. Most computers rely on the case for decent airflow.
Your lockups may be caused by overheating, so if the case is still off
the machine, that's the first thing to do. Second would be to make sure
that with the case on you're not still overheating.

> Oct 16 13:48:48 host kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> Oct 16 13:48:53 host last message repeated 10 times
>
> kept coming up at the same time. When this problem occurs the mouse is
> unresponsive for about 100ms once every second.

Sounds like an interrupt storm. Try the other onboard transceiver or
plug another ethernet card in. Move cards around in slots or play with
the BIOS to juggle interrupts.

How busy is the network segment it's plugged into? Reliable switch/hub?
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org