[clug] Newbie posting again...

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Nov 25 23:55:21 EST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 21:54, Michael Smith wrote:
> Yes, the Linux box has (2) working connections; It sees my local
> network, and can ping the other machines (and they, it)

If you can ping the box from the other machines, then you should be able to
run Webmin and SWAT remotely, with

https://ip.address:10000 (for webmin)
and
http://ip.address:901 (for swat)

I can think of two possible reasons why you may not be able to.

1.  SWAT and Webmin configuration

These may be configured to listen to the loopback address only, or deny access
from other ip addreses.

By the looks of my setup this is the default for SWAT.

On SuSE can edit /etc/xinit.d/samba.  IIRC it is /etc/xinit.d/swat on RH.
Change 'only_from = 127.0.0.1' to something that includes the IP addresses of
the machine you wish to allow connections from.  See man xinetd.conf and man
swat.  However, see the warning below:

WARNING: swat runs as unencrypted html, so doing the above could open the
possibility of password sniffing.  Don't do it across an untrusted network.
If you want encryption then use ssh port-forwarding.  From a windows machine
you can use Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) - it
supports ssh2 and port-forwarding.

My install of webmin seems to allow from all address by default, but perhaps
yours is set up differently.  Check Webmin Configuration - IP Access Control.

2.  Firewall rules on the RH box.

These may be blocking remote connections on the given ports.

# iptables -L

will say what is going on here.

Hope this all helps.

Cheers,