[clug] Any Timers Faster than 10ms?

Carter, Michael Michael.Carter at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Nov 26 09:55:56 EST 2003

Hi all,
I'm trying to write some software for Linux that has some pretty accurate timing requirements. I know that in userspace you can get timers to wake up processes, but this seems to only be with a granularity of about 10ms, which is apparently how often there is a timer interrupt on IRQ0. However, what I'd really like is to be able to perform a task, sleep for a few hundred microseconds, and then perform another task. Are there any more accurate timers available in the kernel? Perhaps a timer exisits in an ordinary i386 architecture that can offer interrupts at a faster rate? Can I use gettimeofday() in anything other than a busy wait?

Thanks,
mick