[clug] 14" monitors (free)

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 15:40:55 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 10:45, Michael Carden wrote:
> > So would anyone be interested in 14" monitors if I bought them to CLUG?
>
> Enough to make a video wall?
> Imagine a Beowulf... oh, maybe not.
>
> Okay, I'll be quiet now.

that's not such a bad idea - imagine at a LAN party, you have a computer
with lots of video cards and a decent CPU capable of running multiple
copies of Q3A or UT2003 and displaying the viewpoint and stats of each
player in the competition (chase mode). I've seen this with periodic
switching from player to player just on a single projector, it's lots of
fun as a spectator with food in hand. Imagine a wall covered with these!

Or a super hires projector and some software to splice the video
together from multiple copies of the game. I guess you could just use a
normal projector and render each player's viewpoint at low res. Then
just one videocard could do it just fine, although a beefy CPU would
still be needed. Maybe an optimised version of the code too but with
closed source there's not too many choices. Perhaps interleave the video
frames while rendering so it's still fun but not high framerate (which
you don't need as a spectator). A clever driver could tell each copy of
the game it's waiting for a refresh when the other copies are rendering.

That's my rambling done for today!

> MC

Darren