[clug] PCI wireless cards

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Nov 24 21:10:29 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Martin Schwenke wrote:

> Is anyone using a (currently available) 802.11b PCI (not PCMCIA) card
> with Linux?  What card?  What driver do you use?

DWL-520. I assume they're still available.

> * I'm particularly interested in cards that work with a driver that
>   ships with a standard (2.6) kernel.

I believe hostap, which is what I use, is shipping with 2.6 RSN.

> * If you're aware of incompatible chipset variations within the model
>   that works for you, please let me know.  :-)

No, but David Gibson might know.

> * One of those guys at a computer fair claimed the D-Link DWL-520
>   worked with Linux (and I've heard the DWL-520+ doesn't - completely
>   different chip-set apparently).  It was about $90.

Wow! I paid $250 about two years ago.

> I'm just looking to by a PCI wireless card and don't want to waste too
> much time.  I just want it to work...  :-)

Well, worst case it will keep a door open for you.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,
http://www.stillhq.com            |  to achieve my many goals"