[clug] Re: Mysterious mbox behaviour: Solved; sortof

Pearl Louis pjl124 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 17:57:17 EST 2003

ReiserFS, though one of the bug reports say they are using ext3 so I don't
think it is file system dependent.  Also people have mentioned seeing this on
a variety of different versions of KDE ranging from 2.9.2 to 3.2beta and
different distros.  There doesn't seem to be any common factor between people
who are affected by this bug except they are using some version of Kmail.

Also all my mailboxes are on a local hard drive, not mounted by NFS so there
shouldn't be any synching problems with that (this question was also asked of
people in the bug reports).

It seems to me from my experiences and the bug reports that it happens fairly
randomly (not all my mailboxes are affected).  No-one seems to have all their
mailboxes affected and new mailboxes they open don't seem to be affected.
People seem to know it when it occurs (because your mailbox size doesn't
change) but I haven't seen any of the replies on the bugreports suggesting a
reason why Kmail seems to randomly (at least I can't see any common factor)
mark mailboxes as uncompactable (though some recent replies suggest that the
problem may still occur even when compactable=true, so there might actually
be two different bugs) and considering the bug has been lingering in the open
bug list since March 2002 (I mistakenly said June 2002) I don't think it's
going to be fixed anytime soon.

I guess it's just luck of the draw whether you get hit by it or not :)
Unfortunately, the people in my family have never been good at gambling :(

Pearl