[clug] lyneham high school's samba server

Nick Oliver nick at linux.act.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 07:46:17 EST 2003

Hello samba gurus,

I've been lurking for a bit and make this humble request for assistance.
At Lyneham High School in Canberra we use samba on a Linux server to
provide DC and file/print sharing to win2k workstations locked down via
ntconfig.pol. We also make available a cut down samba server for other
schools to use free of charge called SNS (www.linux.act.edu.au). We
have a problem with our 100 win2k workstations joining the domain (all
from samba) with all their roaming profiles etc. The long delays in
students logging in is a real chore.  I also must confess that we are
very tight on money because we who are involved at school don't have
control over the cheque books. I would like to ask if any of you might
be interested in taking a look at our smb.conf and see if there is
anything obvious about it that might be causing our long domain logins?
I realise it is a bit of an ask but I'd be happy to show anyone round
the school's setup. I also realise that the problem is probably not the
linux end of things but dodgy setup of Win2k workstations.

We use samba 2.2.7
We use openldap for authentication
We probably don't need the domain features of samba but the bosses
think we do.
Our server is a Dell 2500 running a PIII 1gig copermine  with scsi raid
1 worth 40gig. 100BASE-T fully switched network with fiber backbone to
all labs.
100 workstations all running same soe of win2k
Domain logins more than 10 minutes! ouch!
File sharing seems very speedy from the macs which aren't on the domain.
Our smb.conf is on the web site www.linux.act.edu.au under
documentation.

I suspect the workstations are at fault with their win2k domain chat
but know that they are out of the scope of this list.

thanks in advance

Nick Oliver
English Teacher
Lyneham High School