[clug] Re: nitrogen cooled server

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 11:31:42 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 11:12, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> Darren Freeman said:
> > Anyone remember the dry-ice/ethanol cooled PC? Foam box with motherboard
> > in a plastic bag dipped in the slurry? That was me plus friends.
>
> Dude, that rocked!

why thank-you!

> I can see it now... Dazza and friends sitting on their eskys at the
> Summernats doing timing or something.  PC overheats.  D-man looks at the
> bottle of Tooheys New in his hand, bends up a bit on the knees and peers
> into the esky with the dry ice...

but as this was Adelaide, it would have been Coopers Pale Ale ;)

> <cue "action man" kind of music - distorted guitar wail followed by drum
> intro and some hard rock rhythm with a guitar solo>
> Fade out/in and have some laughs and smiles and toasting of beer bottles,
> and the obligatory hot babes, and a shot of the esky with a few cables

Yeah some hot babes would have been nice. All we had was some geeks who
rocked up for a lanparty. Most of them has nothing to do with the
experiment other than to cheer when it worked ;)

Plus we then fried a dead Voodoo-3 by making it into one half of a
Jacob's ladder (12kV AC applied between its ground plane and a piece of
bent copper tube, big arc racing up the middle).

> hanging out and some cars doing burnouts in the background and some
> dragging with the timing working again.

Not quite ;)

I did get to play Quake-III on a CPU at -66 degrees C. We overclocked a
celeron from about 333MHz to like 600MHz (I forget the numbers now, it
was Joe's hardware).

The experiment stopped when the ethanol found its way into the bag.
Slowly of course, but it was still a valuable computer.

Darren