[clug] Putting a server's config under CVS by snarfing /etc

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Fri May 30 09:04:09 EST 2003

    Matt> Michael.James at csiro.au (Michael.James at csiro.au) wrote:

    Matt> Extremely poorly, I would suspect.  It's probably best to
    Matt> use a script to recreate things as they should be from a cvs
    Matt> export of the real config files.

At this year's AUUG System Administration Symposium, Adrian Close
described a system for maintaining system configurations using CVS.
One of the neat things is that it didn't just involve pushing /etc
into a CVS module.  It involved using CVS for a bunch of meta-info,
including a directory for each configuration file, where the directory
contained a bunch of hooks (and maybe the file too? -
probably... can't remember), which were the equivalent of: preinstall,
install, postinstall.

He was using it on BSD boxes and it looked like a really good,
flexible way of managing system configurations on a large number of
machines.

Personally, I use RCS on individual machines.  Simple and effective,
but I doubt it would scale well to a cluster...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin