[clug] Putting a server's config under CVS by snarfing /etc

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed May 28 22:27:41 EST 2003

Michael.James at csiro.au (Michael.James at csiro.au) wrote:

> Anyone played with something like this?

Perhaps you may find this article useful:

> How would CVS cope with the web of links in /etc/init.d?

Extremely poorly, I would suspect.  It's probably best to use a script
to recreate things as they should be from a cvs export of the real
config files.

As an aside, rather than use CVS you could use RCS instead.  The
trouble with either scheme is that, for the case of multiple sysadmins
(and sometimes for one ;), it relies on people to play the game.  And
they won't, through laziness.

--
Matt