[clug] fsck.ext3 errors output - partitioning a contributor?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue May 27 20:45:00 EST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 05:28:47PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> a)when I thought there were problems with the disk I used fsck.ext3, but
> probably with the wrong settings -cvp.  Guess I should have used "-nv"
> for anything with data on it and jump to "-pv" if it reports problems
> and I have no other solution and nothing to lose.

Badblocks shouldn't fail anyway so it shouldn't matter which you use. -n is
probably a good start anyway.

> b)dmesg showed you are right - it thinks my 40g drive is 33g:
> hdb: 66055248 sectors (33820 MB) w/1820KiB Cache, CHS=4111/255/63,
> UDMA(33)
> blk: queue c030a0a8, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
>
> I blanked the mbr with dd then I downloaded the Maxtor format floppy
> .... only to still get 33gig.  I used cfdisk -z and tried the change the
> drive to the heads and cylinder details I found on the net - only to
> find they wouldn't stick and I  have 33g still. Even allowing for the
> alternative interpretation of hard drive sellers 40,000,000 / 1024 /1024
> = 38 not 33. I ran the full fsck on the freshly formatted disk and got
> no errors. Looks like I'm still doing something wrong!

1. Check that you don't have a 32GB jumper set on the drive. Yes, they do
exist.
2. It may be your bios that is fudging the size. If you don't tell the bios
it's there, does that solve the problem? Note if you do this you may lose
the UDMA. If this fixes it, time for a BIOS upgrade.

Hope this helps,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/