[clug] Mysterious delivery problems

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Tue May 20 17:27:49 EST 2003

Martin Pool (mbp at samba.org) wrote:

>     So don't use osirusoft's blacklists.  There are plenty of other lists
>     that don't take so much glee in deliberately creating collateral
>     damage.

I'd go so far as to say don't use blacklists.  For some reason they
always seem to be run by very... temperamental... people.

(some may say s/tempera// ;)

I enjoy messing around with email systems and by far the best thing I've
ever done to combat spam was to use a content filtering system.  You can
neuter over 80% with a few simple regex's without fear of accidentally
trapping "ham" - which I think is well worth the slight extra CPU cost
in processing (I measured 3-5% on a 400Mhz cpu), and the crafty ones
that make it past that get done by a bayesian filter.

Not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but the trend I'm seeing
right now is that the spam that still makes it (I've gotten 3 from
memory in the past year, one was recently to this list) are
indistinguishable from legitimate human conversation.  At most, they are
simply off-topic messages. Extremely ineffective at selling anything,
which means less money and incentive to use spam, and at 3/10,000+
messages, hardly irritating and easily forgotten.

I recently evaluated my spam box (I keep it solely to re-seed the
bayesian filter) and there were no false positives in it.  I'm very,
very happy with that.

(and, for the record, I regularly get HTML and HTML-wannabies email from
family and aquaintances using all sorts of stupid clients)

--
Matt