[clug] Mysterious delivery problems

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue May 20 12:23:13 EST 2003

On 19 May 2003, Damien Elmes <clug at repose.cx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I received a message today from this mailing list:
>
>   From: linux-bounces at lists.samba.org
>
> I received something similar 3 weeks ago:
>
>   From: linux-request at lists.samba.org
>   Subject: confirm ...
>
>   Your membership in the mailing list linux has been disabled due to
>   excessive bounces
>
> What's strange is that I haven't been experiencing any other delivery
> problems, and now that I've re-subscribed, the discussions seem to be coming
> in again - it'd been a week or two since I'd received any clug mail.

relays.osirusoft.com listed samba.org without explanation a few weeks
ago, and equally mysteriously removed us.   Probably one of your
mailservers was using them for blocking.

>From my mail at the time:

    Datapipe (the ISP hosting lists.samba.org) are being targetted by the
    blacklist people.  Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about this,
    short of finding another ISP and moving everything across which isn't
    really an option.  And really there's no guarantee that the new ISP
    won't start to be blocked resulting in us having to move again.

    So don't use osirusoft's blacklists.  There are plenty of other lists
    that don't take so much glee in deliberately creating collateral
    damage.

    We originally were using osirusoft for incoming mail on samba.org but
    stopped very quickly after seeing the number of legitimate mails that
    were being bounced.

--
Martin