[clug] Debian update

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu May 15 00:05:05 EST 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:40:50PM +1000, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> I have been asked to update a Debian server that has been without attention
> for a little while.  Not being a Debian expert, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  It was only given around 180MB in /var, of which much is already used.  I
> assume it is safe enough to symlink /var/cache/apt to somewhere else with
> more space.  I have no desire to resize the partitions, particularly as I
> would like to avoid having to get physical access to the server if at all
> possible.

No problem there. Apt usually warns you if it think you don't have enough
disk space.

> 2.  A dry-run says that there are 27 packages to be upgraded, and only 3 of
> these (libstdc++, cpp and gcc) are from Debian-Woody, all the other updates
> are from Debian-Security.  Would it be best to only do the security updates,
> or is a full update a pretty safe bet.  I *really* don't want to lose my ssh
> connection during the process.  It is all looking pretty safe to me, all the
> version numbers are almost identical, but I'd like some confirmation from
> someone with a bit more experience.

The ones being downloaded from Woody are probably from a minor release.
While they may not be necessarily security updates, they're probably worth
having.

Oh, I've never lost an ssh connection during an update. The upgrade process
is very careful about that. Only the daemon is restarted, not the
connections.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/