[clug] Debian update

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed May 14 23:40:50 EST 2003

I have been asked to update a Debian server that has been without attention
for a little while.  Not being a Debian expert, I have a couple of questions:

1.  It was only given around 180MB in /var, of which much is already used.  I
assume it is safe enough to symlink /var/cache/apt to somewhere else with
more space.  I have no desire to resize the partitions, particularly as I
would like to avoid having to get physical access to the server if at all
possible.

2.  A dry-run says that there are 27 packages to be upgraded, and only 3 of
these (libstdc++, cpp and gcc) are from Debian-Woody, all the other updates
are from Debian-Security.  Would it be best to only do the security updates,
or is a full update a pretty safe bet.  I *really* don't want to lose my ssh
connection during the process.  It is all looking pretty safe to me, all the
version numbers are almost identical, but I'd like some confirmation from
someone with a bit more experience.

Thanks in advance,

Rasjid.

--