router setup difficultly

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Mar 20 18:54:23 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 06:33:48PM +1100, Nicolas Cherbuin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had some problem connecting to transact and some of you suggested that I
> might have to change the default gateway and indeed it was the case. Thank
> you for your help
>
> Unfortunately, the machine I am connecting with at the moment is my
> router/firewall, and I cannot browse the net from any other machine. As I
> am far from being a linux wizzard I need some SIMPLE (read dumb)
> advice/diagnostic tools.

Things to check:

You can ping the internet from the router
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward has a "1" in it
You have IP Masquerade / NAT configured

Lookup the Dialup / IP Masquarade HOWTO, it contains a lot of info on this
sort of stuff.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/