router setup difficultly

Nicolas Cherbuin nicolas.cherbuin at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 20 18:33:48 EST 2003

Hello,

I had some problem connecting to transact and some of you suggested that I might have to change the default gateway and indeed it was the case. Thank you for your help

Unfortunately, the machine I am connecting with at the moment is my router/firewall, and I cannot browse the net from any other machine. As I am far from being a linux wizzard I need some SIMPLE (read dumb) advice/diagnostic tools.

What I can do:

-ping the router  from other machines (win 98)
-ping the win boxes from the router
-samba is working

What I can't do:

-ping any internet address
-ping the router with the local domain extension (firewall.nic) although the win98 machine has a hosts file with this information and so does the router

What I have tried:

-changed (briefly) iptables rules to -j ACCEPT to check that the firewall is not stopping some critical information --> no change
-checked network settings
-read all sorts of network how-tos

route shows:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination             Gateway         Genmask                     Flags     Metric     Ref    Use     Iface
TransACT-ERX.ne     *                       255.255.255.255         UH            0      0        0     ppp0
10.1.1.0                    *                      255.255.255.0               U             0      0        0     eth0
127.0.0.0                   *                     255.0.0.0                       U             0      0        0     lo
default         TransACT-ERX.ne             0.0.0.0                      UG            0      0        0     ppp0

adsl-setup shows:

Note: You have enabled demand-connection; adsl-status may be inaccurate.
adsl-status: Link is up and running on interface ppp0
ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:210.11.145.11  P-t-P:203.56.186.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:30 (30.0 b)  TX bytes:30 (30.0 b)

hosts file on router:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
10.1.1.1 firewall.nic firewall
10.1.1.2 zebulon.nic zebulon
0.0.0.0 gateway.netspeed gateway
10.1.1.10 zazie.nic zazie
10.1.1.240 kyo.nic kyo
10.1.1.50 astrid.nic astrid

I hope that someone can help, also as I am presently undergoing some medical treatment I am considering paying somebody to fix this problem, who would want to do this?

Thanks for your help

Nic