Setting colours of text terminals

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Mar 15 12:01:05 EST 2003

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 09:06 , Nemo - earth native wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:05:32PM +1100, Alex Satrapa did utter:
>> If using "dircolors" to set the $LS_COLORS environment variable, you'll
>> need to include a line in your .dircolors file that specifies that your
>> $TERM is valid.  Eg, the following is required for my Mac OS X
>> terminal:
>
> Well, set your $TERM *somewhere*, if that's what it takes. I don't think
> .dircolors is the place for it though.

No... that's not what I meant.  You need a "TERM nsterm" line, not a
"TERM=nsterm" line.

The "TERM nsterm" line is a cue to dircolors that when ls sees "$TERM"
equal to "nsterm" that it is, in fact, a colour capable terminal.

> Note that these days $TERM should be set from the actual terminal app
> you're running and not need to be manually set anywhere...

That is indeed where $TERM is set to "nsterm".

> ... so if that's the case, then I'd be lost.

I need special "nsterm" entries in termcap/terminfo to handle the fact
that Terminal.app doesn't quite emulate anything else in particular -
I'm trying to register bugs against Terminal.app when I find stuff like
not reporting its initial rows/columns (which leads to interesting stuff
when scrolling down line by line in vim, for example). The workaround is
to adjust the size by one line, then adjust it back.

Just a pity that you can't send terminfo to the remote host as part of
the login process!

But I'm starting to digress, this is a Linux list, not a GNU/Darwin
list ;)

Regards
Alex