My Debian experience so far

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Mar 12 01:46:29 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 04:58:32AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox did utter:
> The minuses: Woody is too old, and Sid is, well, currently broken.  Not badly

Try testing (currently codenamed Sarge). SID is called unstable for a
reason, and I wont touch it for anything that's relatively core or large
(eg, perl, libc, etc), though I'll happily hit up SID for a minor app
or utility.

Sarge is testing - newer than woody, but not as cutting edge as Sid.
It's a great compromise that I've found rarely has anything major
broken.

> Being new to Debian, I have no idea if this kind of delay in getting 'grave'
> bugs fixed in Sid normal or not.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky and hit a
> bad time to have my first unstable Debian experience.

Sounds mostly like you've missed a key point in Debian's unstable->stable
progression. ie, it's unstable->testing->stable (or as many would have
it, cuttingedge->newish->ancient).

> Perhaps my search for the perfect Linux distribution continues....

No such thing. ;)

.../Nemo