Fwd: Linux audio software

Daniel Smith drs at dreamcraft.com.au
Mon Mar 3 15:31:32 EST 2003

Sweep is extremely good at what it does (I saw Conrad's workshop).

However he himself said it is probably not ideal for mastering.

Currently (AFAIK) Sweep is RAM based, which for 96kHz/24bit will
get particularly ugly. He currently pitches it at live performance,
and single, short track sampling/mixing.

Chances are a 'serious' audio user (someone looking at a MOTU Digital
Performer/Digi Pro Tools) would want something that was able to
sync MIDI as well. I believe Rosegarden is aiming at this space, but
it might be awhile yet.

In the Digital Audio Workstation territory Ardour
(http://ardour.sourceforge.net) is maturing.
Horses for Courses.