[clug] Package Installation

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 26 23:38:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:12 pm, Matt Howe wrote:
> [matt at purple matt]$ rpm -qa|grep libggi
> libggi-2.0.2-2mdk
> libggi2-2.0.2-2mdk
> [matt at purple matt]$ rpm -qa|grep libgii
> libgii-0.8.2-3mdk
> libgii0-0.8.2-3mdk
> [matt at purple matt]$
Do you have a package like libgii-devel? Perhaps libgii0-devel? You need to
install those. I don't have libgii in my setup, but here is an equivalent example
of the two different rpm types. Baiscally you need the base package to
run applications, but you need the -devel package to build them.

[bradh at rachel RPMS]$ rpm -qilp zlib1-1.1.4-3mdk.i586.rpm zlib1-devel-1.1.4-3mdk.i586.rpm
Name        : zlib1                        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.1.4                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 3mdk                          Build Date: Fri 07 Jun 2002 11:33:43 PM EST
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: no.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Libraries              Source RPM: zlib-1.1.4-3mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 64461                            License: BSD
Packager    : Guillaume Cottenceau <gc at mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
Summary     : The zlib compression and decompression library
Description :
The zlib compression library provides in-memory compression and
decompression functions, including integrity checks of the uncompressed
data.  This version of the library supports only one compression method
(deflation), but other algorithms may be added later, which will have
the same stream interface.  The zlib library is used by many different
system programs.
/lib/libz.so.1
/lib/libz.so.1.1.4
/usr/lib/libz.so.1.1.4
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-1.1.4
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-1.1.4/README
Name        : zlib1-devel                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.1.4                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 3mdk                          Build Date: Fri 07 Jun 2002 11:33:43 PM EST
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: no.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : Development/C                 Source RPM: zlib-1.1.4-3mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 168875                           License: BSD
Packager    : Guillaume Cottenceau <gc at mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : http://www.gzip.org/zlib/
Summary     : Header files and libraries for developing apps which will use zlib
Description :
The zlib-devel package contains the header files and libraries needed
to develop programs that use the zlib compression and decompression
library.

Install the zlib-devel package if you want to develop applications that
will use the zlib library.
/usr/include/zconf.h
/usr/include/zlib.h
/usr/include/zutil.h
/usr/lib/libz.a
/usr/lib/libz.so
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-devel-1.1.4
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-devel-1.1.4/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-devel-1.1.4/README
/usr/share/doc/zlib1-devel-1.1.4/algorithm.txt
/usr/share/man/man3/zlib.3.bz2