[clug] Migarate files from Novel to linux file server

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 14:31:34 EST 2003

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 09:12:15AM +0800, Uma AVL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a novel file server v5.0. I need to convert it to Linux file server red hat 7.0.
> Can anybody suggest me a better solution to complete the task fastly? If u any better solution than this can u help me with it?

Sure can. Novell 5 supports NFS. I don't know enough about Novell to tell you how to do it though. Once you figure that out, your RedHat server should be able to mount the NFS share and hey presto your done.

On a side note, Novell seem to be one of the better comercial software vendors in that they really try to ensure standards compatability. If anyone's interested, Novell are porting their services to run on the linux kernel. You can already run some Novell stuff (eDir for example), but they are now porting everything over.

Most of it will only be available as binaries though, but they do say that they will put back any changes to linux itself (as they have to under the GPL anyway). Always good to see more companies hacking on linux.

More info here:

http://www.computerworld.com/networkingtopics/networking/os/story/0,10801,80497,00.html

Paul.