[clug] Clug mailing list & Spam (also the CLUG website)

Alastair D'Silva deece at newmillennium.net.au
Thu Jun 5 08:19:08 EST 2003

1> Recent days have seen large increases in the amount of spam hitting
the list - perhaps its time to review the decision to allow
non-subscribers to post?

I suggest the following:

2 classes of subscribers, one which gets the list delivered, another
which is post-only (this covers those people with multiple email
addresses).

Informative bounces to non-subscribers, telling them how to subscribe.

Possibly bouncing HTML email?

2> I'm in the process of developing a portal/news style site a'la
Postnuke/Geeklog/etc. The difference being that its:
	a> Based on Postgres (along with all the fruit that that provides)
	b> Built with security in mind
	c> Fast! Many pages only require hitting the DB for the session
information. Most pages load in <100ms.
	d> Easy to develop for (based on my own DB abstraction layer &
templating engine)

Theres 2 modules written for it at the moment, a ShortStories module
which allows single page news articles (and an image), and a StaticPages
module, which allows static HTML pages to be integrated into the site.

The next one I'm working on is a Polls module, then Forums and online
shopping.

Anyway, I figure that CLUG would get good use from it (and I'll get some
quality testing) so I'm happy to grant a license to CLUG. Depending on
the legal structure of CLUG, I may hold the license myself, or grant it
to Tridge, Bob Edwards or Eyal. All someone needs to do is come up with
a decentish theme for the site. I'd do it myself but my graphical skills
leave a lot to be desired.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0413 485 733
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661