[clug] rsync for beginners

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Jul 16 21:28:59 EST 2003

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17:14, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> I have recently discovered the services offered by PlanetMirror.  These
> include downloads via rsync.
<snip>
> Given that rsync is a local product, I live in hope that there is an
> "Rsync for Dummies" somewhere.

1) List the achives on offer with:

rsync rsync.planetmirror.com::

Note the :: at the end.  It is important.

2)  Find the file(s) you want.  eg:

rsync rsync.planetmirror.com::gnu
rsync rsync.planetmirror.com::gnu/tar/

3) Download the file you want

rsync -avP rsync.plantmirror.com::gnu/tar/tar-1.13.tar.gz .

(There should be a . at the end of that, or you could put in a different
target filename.)

For more info, see the man page, but I admit the first time I read the man
page for rsync it was all a bit much to take in in one go.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--

Rasjid Wilcox