[clug] Samba/Win98 problem

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com
Wed Jul 16 15:39:12 EST 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Brendan Henderson at Keogh's wrote:

> Succesfully ?? setup my first samba server for a small Win98 network. One
> small problem though:-
>
> >From windows I can open a file in my home dir (an index.html for a small
> webpage I am creating), alter it and when I save it it reports I do not have
> access there, but saving again does so without the error. This happens every
> time with this file. However, if I save it as index-temp.html I can make as
> many changes and saves as I like with no error.

I've got 3 comments:

1. This probably should have gone to the samba list.
2. I've forgotten a lot of what I used to know about Samba (That was in my
   "non" days before I went "anti")
3. This problem could be related to the case mangling problem in Windows.
   Is there a file named something like: Index.html or INDEX.html in the
   same directory?

--
Brett