[clug] Article from Australian IT

Eric Ball phoenix at webone.com.au
Sat Jul 12 19:42:12 EST 2003

Just saw this article:

Linux lagging in local desktops (Kate Mackenzie and Jennifer Foreshew)
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6715754%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

It seems pretty positive about Linux itself, but aparently its awareness
and popularity in Australia is lagging behind the US & New Zealand.

Quotes:
"Hewlett-Packard, which last week announced it would begin selling
SME-targeted PCs with Mandrake Linux installed in the US, says it will
not advertise the Linux option on that model here.

HP corporate desktops market development manager Rob Kingston, said the
d220 would only be sold with Mandrake installed if it was requested."

Which is better than nothing I suppose, and:

"But Dick Smith had no plans to sell Linux-installed boxes in Australia,
according to national merchandise and marketing manager Brian Winther.

Such a move had been rejected because Australian customers were less
technically minded than their New Zealand counterparts, he said.

Buyers may not understand they were not getting Microsoft Windows, he
said."

Which is, I'm thinking, *not* a good thing for a company manager to say
to an Australian newspaper.

-Eric
--
Superstition, idolatry, and hypocrisy have ample wages, but truth goes
a-begging.