[clug] Open Source Legislation

Gough, Chris Chris.Gough at cit.act.edu.au
Tue Jul 8 16:40:47 EST 2003

Carl, List,

I have no experience in lobying politians, but have given this some thought
and now feel inclined to share them and make myself look like an idiot.

Politians are a type professional sales person. The chalenge Carl presented
us with is to help them sell the idea of open source, and to do that we must
ourselves first sell them the idea.

I have observes sales people in the wild, and learned their techniques
employ
these things called "Units of Conviction" (UOC) in their systems of
manipulation. A UOC has three parts; a claim, a fact, and a statement of
benefit (in that order). UOCs are strung together in recursive structures,
and are pretty much the only thing to come out of the mouth of sales people
in sales mode (although, the better ones are more subtle about it that those
rude ones that shout at you through your television).

The claim exists to attract your attention, and dosn't need to be true from
more than one point of view (sometimes they are bald faced lies,
truthfulness
realy does seem to be almost completly irellevant in claims). The fact part
has some relationship to the claim, although dosn't have to prove it's
truth.
Sales people (the political type in particular) are adriot at avoiding
discussions about facts, however they probably feel better about true facts.
What's important about facts is that they are memorable, i.e. simple and
easy
to visualise, and that they can not be used to counter the argument (i.e.
matched to a counter claim). Information content of facts seems to be of
little importance, i.e. it's OK of they prove meaningless under close
scruteny.

Where is this all going? well, the benefit part is by far and away the most
important part of a UOC. Decisions are made based on benefit statements. If
I were realy serious about arming a politian to sell open source (and i
agree
it's probably a good thing to do), the first thing I would focus my efforts
on would be to cataloug the benefits. From there it would be relatively easy
to find facts that fit them, and it's realy the politicians job to come up
with
the claims to sell them (although some help might be good there too).

Now, the final caveat on this theory of sales behavior is that emotional
values are the most important type of benefit. Nevermind the new and
improved
safety features, this new car will make you feel like a James Bond
(and that's what you realy want, isn't it?).  I agree that saving the
government
money apeals to me (if it translates into less tax), and I agree that system
security makes me (as a geek) feel better about the personal information i
am
coerced into divulging (but most of the electorate are not geeks). What
emotional
values does Open Source have, what are the emotional "leverage points" can
these
politians use make themselves look good?

I noticed Kim Beasily (after he set himself up to prove to the electorate
that
Simon Crean can win a popularity contest) selling "Australian Values" in an
interview on the ABC. This seems to be popular theme, the PM has used the
word
"Mateship" very sentimentaly on TV too. I think this is a clearly defined
emotional
leverage point that could be used to construct benefit statements about open
source.

It's the Australian way (mateship, blah blah blah). We lead the world in
Open Source
(example example). Keep the money at home, mateship and hip pocket blah blah
blah.

Our collective inteligence could surely identify a number of such emotional
values that open source benefits. Then we could come up with quotable
quotes,
and trivia that illustrate those ideas. Sending that lot to the politicians
would make their job easy, and as our political opponents know, politians
are
prone to taking the easy choice.

Sorry about all the words, i'm ranting, but there you have it.

Chris Gough