[clug] Linux on mirrored disks using software raid 1

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Jul 7 11:59:46 EST 2003

On  7 Jul 2003, Michael.James at csiro.au wrote:

> Boots fine, works runs etc
>  but when I pulled the power plug out of one drive
>  the system went into a decline.
> In 5 minutes it was catatonic.

Whitebox hardware is not designed to allow you to unplug random
components while it's running.  Who knows what transients doing so
might introduce on the power or signal lines?  Be glad you did not fry
your motherboard.  I have seen it happen from similar foolishness.

IDE mirroring is mostly intended to protect against data loss caused
by media failure.  You can safely simulate that by shutting the
machine down, unplugging a drive, and rebooting it.

If you want to have the machine not crash when a component
electrically fails, you need to either buy genuine redundant hardware,
or have a cluster of separated machines.

--
Martin