Early reports from linux.conf.au anyone?

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 25 12:30:45 EST 2003

Since the last post we have had the Linux Australia AGM (really an election
meeting - hardly any AGM stuff at all). Pia Smith is the new President of
Linux Australia, Stewart Smith (not related) is VP, Anand is still Treasurer,
Andrew Cowie is Secretary and Tridge, Hugh Blemings and some Perth dude are
other members of the Exec without formal positions. The elections were almost
a farce, almost entertaining all at once.

Bdale Garbee did his keynote on Debian (Herding Wild Cats) yesterday morning.

We had the BoFs yesterday arvo. One was to do with who is going to run LCA
2004. It was semi-amicably agreed that Adelaide will host LCA2004 and
probably Canberra will do LCA2005, but I am not so sure.

Last night was the conference dinner. Some people got plastered - quite
off-putting in many ways. $2100 was raised for Electronic Frontiers Australia
(EFA) from the auctioning of a T-shirt signed by all the speakers at the
Ottawa Linux Symposium 2002 and LCA2003. The Debian Release Manager (A.J.)
semi-officially agreed to name the next Debian stable release after the
highest bidder who exceeded $2000. Some guy from Sun Microsystems was the
highest bidder, so all you Debian folk will probably one day be typing:

apt-get upgrade Solaris

or something similar (the guy who won the bidding asked for it to be called
"Duncan" and not "Sun" or "Solaris" - but who knows?). Linus wasn't at the
dinner last night.

Today is the last day. Rusty is giving his keynote in a short while, along
with showing some movie that some of you may know more about than me.

So, that is all the latest from LCA2003.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.