Problems with modems FIXED (I think)

Peter Anderson pja at netspeed.com.au
Sat Jan 11 23:35:45 EST 2003

Robert,

Hi!

This is being sent from RH8.0 on my PC.

I don't know what's happened but I'll give your the sequence.

I re-checked the 'hdparms' with your revised command and they seemed to
be Ok.
I applied the settings you sent anyway.
I was already working on the strategy to try and get the two modems
working with Win98 first
Today I changed the Hayes modem for the Maestro (Executive 288FM) on
Windows and it worked for 20 mins using 'ATZ' as an init string.
Re-booted into Linux tonight and bugger me, RH recognised an attached
'generic modem' something it has never done.
I made sure the init string was 'ATZ' and logged on.
I have been here for 26 minutes and 30 seconds - a world record.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but it seems to be working.

I hate these problems that seem to fix themselves.  Do you think your
commands would have been the trick?

Fingers crossed.

This just shows how valuable these discussion groups are especially for
someone just starting.

Thank you again for all your help, I think I was ready to give Linux the
flick.  That would be a shame, because I really like it.  Much better
than Windows XP.

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Anderson

E:  pja at netspeed.com.au
W:  www.netspeed.com.au/pja
P:  +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M:  +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6