integrated raid controllers

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Feb 21 09:52:56 EST 2003

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 12:39 , Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> http://www.namazu.org/~tsuchiya/debian/alpha/benchmark.html

The numbers don't mean anything without supporting text to indicate what
they actually mean.

I'd be interested to know what the "*" means next to the "1" in those
Hardware RAID tests.

I'd also like to know what the significance of the "1000" and "100"
under the "MB" column is - is that how much cache RAM was added to the
SCSI/IDE controller? or how much RAM was on the motherboard?  or is it
the on-disk cache as supplied by the manufacturer?

It's hard to accept the numbers as plain and simply as they're
presented, when you're shown that an IDE drive has three to five times
the performance of a SCSI drive in the same machine.

Alex