integrated raid controllers

Alastair D'Silva deece at newmillennium.net.au
Thu Feb 20 20:04:31 EST 2003

> > Does anyone have any experience with the new motherboards with
> > integrated  Promise raid 1 0+1 controllers?
> >
> > and what if I want raid level 5, would I be better off with a couple of
> > UDMA  controllers and software raid?
> >
> > Rob

The low end Promise & Highpoint RAID controllers *are* software RAID,
they have some smarts in their firmware which patch the BIOS to let the
machine see the array when called through BIOS calls (eg, DOS). If you
have a look at the source code for these devices, you'll see that all
the smarts are in the drivers.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0413 485 733
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661