transact connection

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Mon Feb 17 11:01:24 EST 2003

>interface to use (ping -I eth1 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) but I cannot ping it without the interface tag and >my browser cannot resolve addresses.

what does 'route' say?

try:

route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX dev eth1
(exactly as shown, with same IP as above)

>that it might make a difference (my network uses 10.1.1.X and I gave an IP address of >192.168.42.1 to the gateway interface). How should I proceed?

any particular reason you've given the gateway interface and address outside your subnet? try assigning 10.1.1.X to this interface as well.

try putting the following line into your /etc/resolve.conf file:

nameserver 210.80.58.34

if this helps, then it's just not discovering you DNS properly.

HTH
-James