Linux pre-installed machines from TPG

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 12 19:09:37 EST 2003

On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 02:38 , Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> If anyone is interested, TPG is selling a system with Linux
> pre-installed, for
> $699 (no monitor).  Curiously, they don't mention which version of
> Linux they
> have installed.

I've asked internally, and the official answer is, "we're not telling."
Weird!

> Just to make things interesting, they also include 6 months unlimited
> ADSL
> free with the package.  Of course, that assumes you live at a location
> that
> can get TPG ADSL.

AFAIK, if you have Telstra ADSL in Canberra, you can get TPG ADSL.

> The system is only available online, from
> http://www.tpg.com.au/xmachine/.

Only online, and only with credit card.  No flexirent, cheque or cash.

And be warned that you do have to pay freight, so the actual cost to get
the machine set up in your house is going to be $748 all plus monitor,
and any extra freight required for the monitor.

The "Unlimited" ADSL plan is 256k/64k, similar to the existing Unlimited
Broadband 256K plan ($69.95/month), and they'll start charging that plan
to your credit card as soon as the six months free period is over.  I
guess the marketing plan behind it is to get people used to the
Unlimited plan, so they won't want to switch.  For only $69.95/month,
why would you want to?  :)

Note: Broadband choice is hopelessly out of date in terms of pricing.
Check TPG's pricing page at
http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl.html

The biggest catch is that it's only a 12 month return-to-base warranty
(ie: not the 3-year extended on-site warranty you get with the
mainstream TPG machines). The next biggest catch is that you have to pay
extra for a monitor.  The smallest catch is that there's no floppy - but
it has two USB ports on the front panel, so you should be able to use a
Flash key.