server linux

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 16:59:45 EST 2003

On  5 Feb 2003, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
> > > I can't see a .deb with Rusty's new modutils for 2.5... Any pointers?
> > >
> > > The from source install doesn't seem to work (there are symlinks all over
> > > the place in /usr/sbin, and I haven't dug any further yet)...
> >
> > Its in unstable ..
> > called module-init-tools
>
> How brave is running unstable? Will it eat my data?

Nibble it, maybe. :-)

I've never lost data from 2+ years of running unstable.  The worst
I've ever had is that a particular application will be unusable for a
while, forcing me to downgrade, debug it, or just cope without it for
a while.  For example, "xmlto ps" is in that state at the moment.
Last year gnome-session was broken.

> How do I upgrade from woody to unstable using apt?

Change /etc/apt/sources.list; apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

Though personally I'd be inclined to not just dist-upgrade everything,
but rather upgrade a few packages at a time, letting dependencies pull
other things forward.  Perhaps get gnome first, if that's what you
care most about, etc.

--
Martin