remote firewall advice

Mick Howe mickhowe at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 4 16:31:08 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 16:08, John Griffiths shouted from the roof-tops:
> At 04:10 PM 4/02/2003 +1100, Mick Howe wrote:
> >I also set one up for a local internet cafe six weeks ago (PIII, 256mb,
>
> 1.2gb)
>
> >to replace XP on the same box. Then report faster service and less trouble
> >with online gaming.
>
> why on earth aren't they running this with a dedicated router box?
>
> a PIII with 246Mb has got to have more useful purposes for the cost of
> a netgear RT314 or similar.

I was called in in the middle of loading IPCop. the guy who talked them into
using IPCop used the existing box for the trial, just swapped the 60gig drive
for a 1.2 that was lying about. The PIII will become a game server and IPCop
transfered to a lesser box shortly.

/\/\ik