[clug] Notebooks (again)

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Dec 30 04:58:04 GMT 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:39:39PM +1100, Michael Carden wrote:
> Someone (Mikal?) recently mentioned that IBM had Celeron machines with
> wireless etc in the $1.5 ~ 1.7k range, but my web searching seems to turn up
> prices about $1k higher than that. What have I missed?
>
> I'm not after anything particularly fancy. In fact I'm even looking
> seriously at the entry level G4 iBook, though it does seem a wee bit pricey
> for it's small screen and relatively slow CPU. If I'm honest though, I doubt
> that I'll use it for anything that relies on a blindingly fast processor.
>
> Yes, yes, I know... horses for courses... but I'd welcome suggestions for
> sensible notebooks under around $2k.
>
> Ideally one that doesn't come bundled with XP and is known to be happy
> running Debian, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Hmm

My sister just puchased a dell inspiron 1100

AUD $1795 at the time, I think it is AUD $1695 if you look in a recent dell
catalogue.

It has 256 MB RAM, 30GB HD, 2.4GHz celery CPU, 14.1" 1024x768 screen, intel
i845 chipset AFAIR.

Specs are up on some linux laptop ionstall pages people have put online.

Installing debian onto it from knoppix was a breeze, though the modem needs
a non-free driver currently, and the sleep doesnt work, suspend to disk with
a partition for doing so works and ACPI sort of works enough in 2.4.23 or
2.6.*.

The main consideration for the purchase for now was good price, the other
things (except maybe the modem) will probably work perfectly soon.

Of course I reccomend apple notebooks, qick to sleep and wake up, and a
nice architecture and better battery life.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view