[clug] Recommendations for a DSL link

John newsx1 at bestpond.com
Wed Dec 10 02:19:07 GMT 2003

> I know it's off topic for this list and it's been asked a few times
> but I've got some specific needs for a DSL link and I was hoping
> someone here could point me in a good direction.

If you want reliable service and support. You cannot go past Internode. They
do outstanding things and go the "extra mile".
> Needed:
>
> A DSL link of at least 512/128 (would prefer 512/512)
> Usage of around 6Gb/month (unlimited would be nice but not required)
> Ability to run servers No shaping or "peak times" weirdness Now the
> tough one. A static /29 assignment

They have 512/512 available and they have a flat rate series of plans which
are tops.
> Why I'm after this:
>
> I run a network of machines to run a website and various other
> services to help support students doing courses at CIT. I do part time
> teaching at CIT (mainly for the Linux based courses) and set up
> website to provide extra resources for students and also to try and
> demonstrate what we teach so they can see what we're talking about is
> actually relevant.
>
> The website has grown and changed quite a lot since it's inception and
> I've started adding extra services such as webmail and I'm planning to
> bring in a whole bunch more such as instant messenging via a public
> Jabber server. The entire network is powered by open source products
> sitting on some fairly robust second hand machines (eBay is my
> friend..)

Internode support Linux and have mirrors available to their users of most of
the main Linux software.
> Other things:
>
> I've got a budget of approx. $150/month set aside for bandwidth costs.
> Of course cheaper would be better.
>
> Link I currently have is unfortunately not part of the fast churn
> process (long story involving a certain monopolistic communications
> company) so when/if I do move this link across it means the oh so fun
> process of terminating my current link and getting the new one
> activated. Prefer to avoid as much down time as possible but I know
> the wonderful world of DSL provision can have it's hiccups. At least I
> know the line is able to get DSL.

I think you would find internode will help you here, give them a call, or visit:
http://www.internode.on.net

Best wishes,

John